Thursday, February 16, 2012

Salmon & Corn Chowder

My friend Matt
Almost once a week Andrew and I either host or join a group of friends for a homemade dinner.  Last night it was hosted at David, Jojo, and Matt's house, and we were in for a special surprise.  I was expecting a delicious grilled meal, both Matt and David are geniuses with a grill.  But no, the grill was stored away tonight.  Instead a big red pot was stewing away on the stove.  Matt was the chef tonight, and he decided to cook up Salmon and Corn Chowder. 

While I was devouring cheese, crackers, and the local farmer's market's carrots with the girls in the living room, I heard a faint, "Sarah," from the kitchen.  I wasn't sure why I was being summoned to the kitchen, but I marched right in and said, "What can I do for you?"  Matt whispered, "You are the only one in there I actually trust to taste this." Yes, was I flattered! He just won mega-points with me and so did his dish.  So I took a spoonful of soup and gave him my honest opinion, it was salty and needed some pepper, maybe a little more citrus and cream.  Now that my duties were done, I returned to the living room and the cheese plate.

Not too much later, dinner was served and it was terrific!  I have to say I mentally took some of the credit, but Matt really deserves it all.  The chowder was served with a nice Caesar salad and cornbread (with corn kernels, my favorite) which was perfect for the cold windy evening. 

I highly recommend it if you want to try fish, but you really aren't a fishy person or just want a new way to cook salmon.  Here is the recipe from Wood-Fired Cooking by Mary Karlin. 

Salmon and Corn Chowder
Serves 6 as a main course
From Wood-Fired Cooking by Mary Karlin

3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices
8 ounces unpeeled small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 bunch green onions, coarsely chopped, including half of greens
1 1/2 cups corn kernels (about 2 ears)
4 cups fish or chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
2 pounds salmon fillets, skin and pin bones removed, cut into 2-inch pieces
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup minced fresh dill (Matt used cilantro in his chowder instead)

Prepare a campfire or wood-fired grill for cooking with direct heat.  NOTE: We cooked it on the stove (Sorry wood-fire.)

Heat olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat and saute the celery for 3 minutes.  Add the potatoes, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.  Stir in green onions and corn and add 2 cups of the stock.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes.

Add cream and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.  Stir in the salmon and lemon zest and simmer gently until the salmon is just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.  Add more stock as needed and lemon juice to taste.  Taste and adjust the seasoning. 

Serve in bowls, topped with the dill. Or cilantro like Matt. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...