This guy is awesome and he knows how to cook, and cook well. I am trying out this paleo/REAL FOOD thing, I mean not exclusive, but most of the time and I have found some great recipes. Two of them from Mark's Daily Apple through Today's Letters, one of my favorite blogs.
I initially thought making home made sausage was easy, I would just grind any meat, add spices here, add spices there and it would turn out right... oh man was I wrong and I made the nastiest chicken sausage. I made almost 3lbs and threw it all out, it was that bad! So Attempt #2 was about to happen and I was going to look at a recipe.
AMAZING NEWS, it worked and it was sooooo goood!!!! I think a few keys to my success were chicken thighs not breasts, don't forget the red wine vinegar, and don't use too much garlic. Here is how I made my Home Made Fresh Herb Sausage and Sausage & Egg Casserole.
Fresh Herb Sausage
- 2 pounds of raw chicken thigh meat, cut into 1-inch chunks (include all fat)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or red wine
Sausage & Egg Breakfast Bites
- 1 12oz bag of spinach
- 1/2 of the Fresh Herb Sausage above.
- 8-10 eggs
- Salt & Pepper