Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bone Marrow my Love?

This Saturday is Andrew and my 3 year anniversary, so far every year we have celebrated with a fun and new dining experience.  I don't think we would have lasted this long if we didn't share the same love of food.  I can't wait to celebrate this year.  It is going to be hard, but I hope it beats last year. 


Last year we reviewed Yelp to see what the top restaurant was in Santa Barbara at the time, the winner, Julienne.  It is a very small intimate restaurant which focuses on local, seasonal and sustainable products not far off the main street.  They offered a 5 course tasting menu which allowed you to pick any 5 items on the entire menu.  Andrew and I wanted to pick 10 different items so we could try it all, and of course we did the wine parings as well.  It was a very fun dinner.  I can say there was definitely some great food served, but only one thing sticks with us today and we will continue to rave about it, probably for the rest of our lives.

Two words: Bone Marrow.  I know kind of scary, we were scared too, but we decided we would try it all.  It came out on a plate still inside the bone with a few pieces of toast.  We had no idea how to eat it, so we asked the waitress, "How does this work?" She told us, "Just use the knife and spread it on the toast." So that is what we did.  At the same time we took our first bite, and something seriously magical happened, that bone marrow was absolutely one of the best things I have ever tasted.  It had a jelly consistency, with a buttery, salty taste of OH MY GOD GOODNESS.  It has got to be one of the hardest things to describe, and all I have to say is you have to try it.

Not only was there love in the air, I mean it was our anniversary, but this bone marrow added even more love.  Our love for each other, our love for food, our new love for bone marrow, and Andrew's love for the chef.  Andrew insisted on going to the head chef to tell him how much he loved his bone marrow, the food and the chef himself, and while he was up there he ordered another one.  So yea, we had 11 course, 2 of which were the bone marrow.

So I dare you, next time you see bone marrow on the menu, order it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...